Thursday 30 August 2012

Final Project - Final Edit

So my final piece is done! I am happy with the final edit. The only thing I changed since the last edit was to put the sound a bit higher as I noticed that when I watched the video without headphones the sound wasn't as loud so the video didn't work as well as it did when I was editing. I can't really ask everyone who watches my film to use headphones so I have to be sensible. Another thing I changed was the second scene. Even though when I was shooting that was my favourite shot, because of the framin and the people in it, when seen together with the rest of the shots it didn't fit very well. The reason being that the rest of the scenes were very static and focused on the space, whereas that shot was full of life. I kept a part of it, the one that I liked most where there were some people walking far in the background and at the same time another person walking closer to the camera. I felt like that shot showed the scale of the space, so I decided to keep it in. It is only half way through the scene when the viewer actually sees the scale of the space, when the day wide scene comes up. Until then it looks quite closed off and dark. I like that it almost works as a little shock, so I like how the perception of the space is progressive throughout the film. I chose to mix between the close-ups and wide shots so a sense of scale is given away progressively, so each shot adds more information to the one before. Just like the mix of the day and night shots, I didn't want to split the film in half day/nigh or wide/close-up. I feel that the structure that it has now works great for what I was trying to achieve. Especially because it is such a big and complex space I don't think a very structured film would have worked. I realised how much impact the computer that the film is watched on can have when I watched on a not so great screen when I was showing the film to my friends. The screen had a facult and there were some green dots over the dark areas I find that the way in which I work is very intuitive; I just film and edit however I feel, and only afterwords analyze everything and I feel that for me it works. Some people might have to plan everything ahead, and have a strong concept and general feel and approach to the way in which they produce something, but what I found from making the experimentals this year is that I work the other way around. I just make something and then analyze and explain what I've done. So here it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment