Tuesday 19 June 2012

Gallery and installation thoughts - final project

I though I would make a post about what I feel that I've gained from the visits to galleries and video installations in the last couple of weeks. I written something about all of them in individual posts, but I feel a wide conclusion is needed. The main idea that i got from all the installations I've seen is that the space where the screening is taking place is crucial. I decided I don't want to produce a film for my final project, that will go on a DVD for the assessors to see and mark. I want to make something out of it. I want to use a space, and respond to it with the medium of video. Produce something that works with it, that is produce as a response to the space, and by having the video there changes the space. I really liked the Beaconfields gallery, that was under a viaduct of a train; the space was completely dark when going inside, and it had the smell of a damp cellar. The roughness of the space worked really well with the screening, and the screening worked very well in that space. The other instalation that I experienced and really enjoyed was the 'Pitchfork Disney Pre-Show' which included some of my videos. The venue was a warehouse that was very flexible in terms of what rooms could be used and in what way. The producers of the theatre piece created a route that the visitors had to go through that would contain hints from the show that would later be mentioned in the performance. Click here to go to post and video about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment