Thursday 28 June 2012

Final project

After seeing all the video installations and projects I've talked about so far I really got into the idea of doing something similar. A video that is created in response to a certain space, that will be influenced by it but at the same time influence the space as well. I know that before being able to start working on the project, I first needed to find the space. So I started thinking about warehouses and similar spaces that I could use. The obvious one in Coventry was Fargo Space, a warehouse on Far Gosford street that is used for art exhibitions and performances. Then I've gone off the idea, as I'd like to use a space that is not designated for art, but that I could use like this. Then I remembered a space that I noticed since my first year; the wall and its surroundings under the ring road next to the university library. It really appealed to me, and I always wanted to see something projected or exhibited onto it. So this got me thinking that I could use such a space under the Ring Road. After seeing Nick and discussed this idea with him, I got to speaking with Sam, who has accompanied me in all the gallery visits done lately and who really helped me rationalize what I'm thinking and getting my ideas out. He is a graduate from an art course, so he talked to me about my final project from a graduate's point of view. He pointed out that I should take advantage of the opportunity of being in University and having access to equipment and facilities, and produce something for my final project that I could use as an example of my work after I graduate. I want to get into producing films that would be integrated into performing arts, which is a very niche area. Because I've only done two such projects so far, that had minimal creative input from me, it would be wise to produce something for my final project to show that I can actually do that. So now I am very torn between doing the project with the ring road that I came up with not long ago, but got excited about, and something that would be helpful to my career outside university. It's not the best place to be but it's better than having no ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment